The first thing to consider is to give your canaries fresh food the match with the season you are. Of course they are not out in the wild but try to keep the natural way of things.
List of fresh food that our canaries love:
- Broccoli – not only the flowering head on top but also the leaves and the stalk. If you were throwing away the stalk and you have canaries, do not do it! They like it a lot!
- Cauliflower – the same here like with the broccoli. They eat all the parts of cauliflower
- Peppers (not spicy ones) – not only the flesh but also the seeds! They go crazy!
- Salad greens: kale (purple and green), dino kale (or lacinato kale), collard greens, spinach, swiss chard, red leaf lettuce – salads are very easy to have even in your balcony! We have all these salads in out balcony, so that we can give our canaries fresh leaves, without having to worry about pesticides!
- Celery leaves
- Green leaves of the red beets
- Green leaves of the Kohlrabi
- Green leaves of the radish
- tomatoes (not all our canaries like it)
- Apple (not the seeds!)
- grapes (not the seeds!)
- mandarin and orange (not all our canaries like it)
- banana (not all our canaries like it)
- Hard boiled eggs with the egg shell (we boil it 15 minutes)
- Boiled rice without salt (when we boil rice for us, we give them 3-4 rice seeds)
- Boiled carrot without salt
Last but not least! Provide your canaries with fresh water every day! It is very important, cause when they drink water, there is food that remains there and the water is not fresh very quickly.