My sourdough was born in the covid times. Around March I decided to start with sourdough bread, cause I am eating a lot of bread and I felt it was time to switch from yeast to sourdough. I love it. Since March I haven´t used neither once to bake bread with yeast.
I am using percentages to make my sourdough bread and I am still experimenting with the flours! You can give me ideas if you want.
This table has the ml for a 100% that is equivalent to 380gr and it makes a small loaf.
|Ingredient||Percentage (%)||Quantity (gr)|
|Wheat Flour – all purpose||85 (of the wheat flours-all purpose and bread- together)||160gr|
|Wheat Flour – bread flour||160gr|
|Whole wheat flour||15||60gr|
- Mix your unfed starter first with the water that should be in water temperature/NOT cold
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix
- Add the rest of the flours (whatever you are using) and mix
- Let it rest for 6 hours (it should almost double its size)
- Knead it for a couple of minutes on a surface that you put a bit of flour and in this step add the salt slowly
- Add it in a bowl that resembles the shape of the baking pot that you will be baking your bread
- Let it rest for at least 1 hour
- Preheat the oven in 350 degrees Celsious and have your baking pot in the oven. It would be the best if you have something like a dutch oven that has a cover. If you do not have a cover, you can use aluminum paper
- When the oven is preheated, make some cuts in your bread and put it in your dutch oven or in your baking pot with a cover or the aluminum
- Bake for 20 min and after the 20 minuted have passed, remove the cover and reduce the temperature for 20 more minutes
- That´s it!
The bread above is with the basic recipe. Below I show further breads with different flours!
Go on and experiment with the flours!!! See below
The bread below is with 120 gr whole wheat flour, 100 gr all purpose flour and 160gr bread flour like in the original recipe.
The bread below is with 60gr whole wheat flour, 80 gr of Dinkel flour and 120 gr of bread flour and 120gr of all purpose flour.
The bread below is with 60gr whole wheat flour, 80 gr of Dinkel flour and 100 gr of bread flour and 160gr of all purpose flour.