Bao means “bun” and it is a filled steamed bread that it is also called baozi. Mantou is a steamed bread again, that originates from the Northern China and it is without filling. In South China you may find stuffed mantou.
- 85gr sourdough starter
- 40ml water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (you can use also sunflower oil or sesame oil)
- 95gr flour
- Mix the starter with the water well
- Add the oil and mix well
- Add the flour and the salt and mix well
- The dough should be soft and smooth. If yours is sticky add a bit of flour as it can be that our starters do not have the same hydration
- Let it rest until gets almost 1,5 times what it was
- Divide the dough in 4 pieces and put it directly to the place you are planning to steam them on top of a parching paper
- Leave them in the fridge overnight to raise
- Steam them for approximately 17 minutes
You could also make them in the shape below and then fill them with whatever you like. One of m favorite fillings is crunchy chicken! You will need to put in the middle parchment paper, so that it doesn´t stick.