Without pitas there is no suvlaki! So if you want to have a suvlaki, here is where you need to start.
Pita is a very simple flatbread made of wheat. You will find it with different names but also with different ways to cook and other version in the whole Mediterranean.
The traditional Greek is not with a “pocket” where you are putting inside the stuffing (even if you will see this being sold in shops). The typical Greek pita has in the middle the stuffing and then the sides are being wrapped.
- 150gr milk (or lactosfree milk. I tried it with oat milk and it was very tasty – recipe for homemade oat milk)
- 50gr water
- 2 tea spoons dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 50 gr whole wheat flour
- 190gr flour
– Mix the sugar, the yeast, the water and the milk
– Add the flour till you have a slightly sticky dough
– Let it rest for at least 2 hours or until it gets double
– Divide it in 7 pitas (we make our pitas with a diameter of 15cm maximum)
– Let them on the counter for 15 minutes
– Heat the pan and oil it a tiny bit before each pita. The need in medium fire like a minute grilling each side